New Castle County History Page of

Scharf, Thomas J., History of Delaware, 1609-1888. Volume Two- pp. 1015-1023.



In 1664 James Crawford, a physician, came with Sir Robert Carr from New York to
New Castle, where, in 1667, he obtained a warrant for a tract of land in the
town of New Castle or vicinity. He was also a sergeant in the English army which
captured New Castle from the Dutch, and received the tracts of land "in
consideration of good service performed by James Crawford, a soldier." In 1675
he obtained from Governor Edmund Andros a warrant for a tract of four hundred
acres on St. George’s Creek. He also obtained another warrant in 1682 for four
hundred acres of land on Duck Creek. He died in 1683, leaving a widow,-- Judith,--
two sons,-- John and James,-- and a daughter,-- Mary,-- to survive him. His widow
shortly afterwards married Edward Gibbs, the ancestor of the Gibbs living at the
present time in St. George's Hundred. They reside on the plantation on St.
George's, which they purchased from the other heirs. John, the son, sold his
estate to his step-father, went to England and became an Episcopal minister.
James came into possession of the property on Duck Creek, where he lived and
died. Mary married Thomas Ogle and resided in White Clay Creek Hundred. James,
the grandson of the original James, purchased land in Appoquinimink Hundred, on
the "levels," some of which is still in the possession of the family.