#208 - The William B. Janvier Property
Summary: This site between the Gilpin house and the Penn House,
is part of the deRingh-Alrichs-Vanderculen plot, and was included
in the lot sold by Vanderculen to William Markham and by Markham
to James Claypool in 1689. When the part of the Claypool plot to
the rest of #208 was sold by the sheriff in 1715, the #208 lot was
called "Claypool's other land".
In 1727, Josiah Rolfe of Philadelphia owned the lot. Thomas
Smith who bought the Gilpin house dwelling and lot in 1730 bought
also from the heirs of Josiah Rolfe the site of #208. In this sale
the property is described as "a certain messuage or tenement and
lot of ground whereon there stood an old brew house", in breadth
36 feet and 300 feet deep to the marsh. Thomas Thompson, black-
smith, bought this property along with the Gilpin house site in
1737, as "messuages or tenements and lots"..
The executors of the estate of Thomas Thompson divided the prop-
1erty In 1731, the Gilpin house property going to John McGhee, Innkeeper,
and #208 to Francis Janvier who owned and lived In the Penn
Francis Janvier die din 1751;his widow inherited his estate
and in 1776 left it to four of his children: daughter Sarah, sons
Francis Jr., John and Philip. Philip Janvier was the father of
Will ism B. Janvier, who must have come into possession of #208 by
inheritance or purchase from other members of the family. So far,
no deeds or wills or sheriff sales have been found by which he acquired
the property. (Francis Jr. by will in 1798 leaves his est-
ate to his wife, his sister Sarah and brothers John and Philip.
Sarah had no children. She died in 1815.Philip lived until 1822.
John died about 1800, leaving a family in Odessa.)
William B. Janvier, born 1793, died 1848, married in 1819 Jane
Williams Clopper of Baltimore. In 1817, by his own account, 'William
B. is a clerk in the Union Line packet office , employed by John and
Thomas Janvier, merchants. He may have lived in the house on the
#208 lot, but so far no information has been available as to the
date when he remodeled or built the present dwelling and store.
The present building gives no indication from the outside as
to any alterations at any time to its arrangement of doors and windows.
The detail of the double door entrance frame to the store
and the fact that it breaks up into the lower members of the pent
cornice over the bulk windows suggests a minor later a1teration .
In general, this front is complete and consistant with the mode of
building of its time.